ForeverJoy Designs
My Joys my joys | it's the little things

A little bright side

After 9/11 here in NYC, one thing that kept my spirits up was the simple comfort from Mr. Rogers.

“When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news,” Rogers said to his television neighbors, “my mother would say to me, ‘Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.’”

These days, as we join together around the television and radios and digital screens for update on the collective war we are waging against the viral pandemic– I think we all feel the heavy blanket of worry and concern.  Being isolated from so many we love isn’t easy. Times are tough- there’s no wishing that away.

What I do find comforting though is that you do not have to look far for the helpers.  There are so many stories of people helping one another- in great gestures and in small. Here in NYC- most people are of course keeping a safe social distance from one another- and that’s a little unsettling.

But do you know what I’ve noticed? As we pass each other, a safe 6 feet apart- people have begun to make eye contact with each other- to smile and nod hello- or, even say it out loud! “Stay safe!” “Have a god one” … that is almost unheard of in this city! No one talks to each other- and eye contact with strangers is usually a call sign of people who would do you harm.

Neighbors are looking in on each other- people are leaving little gifts for the delivery folks and mail carries, and, American Flags are flying on almost every home- regardless of political belief.

There is good in every day- and noticing it, documenting it is what helps keep us swimming against the current of concerns these days.

This is a season- this is not forever. And though we are distanced from each other- we are not alone.  We are all in this together.

The story of your day today is not the formless CoVid19- it is written on the strong walls of your home.  Life goes on around you- there is a story to be told beyond the statistics- it is one of your strength, of of your faith, one of the love you have around you, of the blessings that still fill your life.

Take a moment to tell those stories. In whatever medium you can- a layout, a photo, a journal, a notepad on your phone- a video clip you make each day.

I made this little gift for you to use as you’d like- maybe to help document the bright side of today. All I ask- is that you spread a little good news before you download it- leave a comment of one little (or big!) bit of something good you found in your day-

We could all use the smile!

[ just click on the image, your download will be automatic! ]

You Might Also Like...

17 Comments

Valerie Sielert
    March 23, 2020 at 1:17 pm

My niece is teaching Zumba online for her classes, she’s so awesome. My cats are super happy that they have a few more laps to sit in all day. I’m scrapping more even though I should be cleaning and such. I have a meal box and that’s been so great so I don’t have to shop for much groceries. Best news of all, we bought a new car with very little contact and my husband loves it. I’m enjoying bugging my husband with cat videos all day while he tries to work.

Renne
      March 23, 2020 at 2:02 pm

These made me giggle- thank you!! I bet the kittys are thrilled lol!! I have been doing my yoga online- it IS very cool- and helps you stay connected and moving! I just signed up for Dinnerly- which one do you use Valerie?

Kathy
        March 23, 2020 at 2:33 pm

Bummed that our Spring Break road trip is cancelled (National Parks in UT & AZ) but content to spend time at home with the family! Now to organize & clean my office/craft space!

Renne
          March 24, 2020 at 12:45 pm

I am notorious for organizing when things get tough LOL! That will be a fun project! I’m sorry about the Spring break trip- that sounds awesome- I hope you get a few great moments in at home- 🙂

Ferdy
    March 23, 2020 at 1:55 pm

it’s a beautiful, bright and sunny day outside…it’s a reminder that this bad time, too, shall pass!!

Renne
      March 23, 2020 at 2:00 pm

something about the sunshine makes things seem better, doesn’t it? I tell my family- everyone needs to see a little blue and green every day 🙂 and yes! This will pass- we can do it!

Amie
    March 23, 2020 at 2:10 pm

I am SO thankful for the sunny days- at least we can get outside & explore without feeling too stir crazy. Plus, we got a puppy- so she’s a great distraction right now!

Renne
      March 23, 2020 at 2:32 pm

A PUPPY!! My boys would go crazy for that!! That’s awesome! And YES! Getting outside for a tiny bit is important – I try and go really early before anyone is out or up here- and then take the little guy for a quick walk before we start “school”. It helps transition the day for him and me. 🙂

Trish Lowe
    March 23, 2020 at 2:45 pm

My kiddos started their first day of online school today. As usual, it took me three times telling Tristan to get up, come eat your breakfast, brush your teeth and get online. Taylor was a breeze. he finished his homework in an hour (now I know why he never had homework before all this crazy) he is just too smart.. Taylor is still plugging away at hers, at least she doesn’t have swim practice and can get everything done today. I am so THANKFUL for all the amazing teachers that got this all together in a week. They deserve a million dollar salary for all they go through every year. Thank Renne for all your fabulous creative designs and this will brighten my layout today. Hope you are well and enjoying your kiddos.

Renne
      March 24, 2020 at 12:44 pm

YES!! Teachers are amazing for sure!! My big guy is in college- so he is pretty much flying solo with his lessons. The little guys needs me to be close by- I know he gets a little lonely- and it gets tedious. (work will have to slow down a bit for me while I help him guide through this) You always work magic with my designs Trish- I’m SO thankful for my teams’s creativity and support and love!

flowersgal
    March 23, 2020 at 2:53 pm

Thanks for the freebie. Some days we just have to create our own sunshine. It’s been gray and rainy here for the past week. Happy is a choice we make daily regardless of the circumstances. So let’s spread sunshine all around us with smiles and words of encouragement to those we encounter today.

Renne
      March 24, 2020 at 12:41 pm

So beautifully said! You know that is something I try to live by- it’s tough sometimes- but sometimes you need to be really tough to keep soft 🙂

Kari
    March 23, 2020 at 9:59 pm

Thank you for the freebie! It’s been wonderful that so many different designers have made free cards or such to share so we can all scrap these crazy times. It’s so therapeutic to document it and get your feelings out in some way. Can’t wait to see what everyone makes!

Renne
      March 24, 2020 at 12:40 pm

I think is IS important to tell the story we are living right now- and if a few little gifts can prompt that- then that makes ME happy to help get the stories flowing- (for me too!)

Jill Utrup
    March 24, 2020 at 10:03 am

My daughter’s boyfriend is patient enough to sit on the phone while she reads her notes to him for a test today. (High school student taking college classes that switched to online. She’s a much better in person learner.)

Renne
      March 24, 2020 at 12:38 pm

THAT is an amazing guy!

Marilyn
    March 24, 2020 at 5:49 pm

Thank you for the freebie! My DH and I went grocery shopping today, and we were pleasantly surprised. While there was no TP or hand sanitizer, just a few cartons of eggs, and bread was limited to 2 loaves, the produce aisle was well stocked with lovely fruit & veggies, even organic! We were thrilled. We were able to get everything from our list with the exception of an antibacterial soap that DH always uses. All in all, a good shopping experience. 🙂